Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A successful batch of yogurt


Last night I had my alarm set for 1:20am and 5:40am. I had to get up at 1:20 to turn off the crockpot full of pumpkin butter. I had to get up at 5:40 to turn off the yogurt, and cool the containers in the fridge. I was grumbling because it was early and I am not feeling well and I did not want to get up twice in one night. Let me tell you, it was all worth it this morning. I had a bowl full of goats milk yogurt (from the goat I milked yesterday) and a spoonful of pumpkin butter for some flavor. YUM! Moreso than the fact that this breakfast is healthy and free, I can take pride knowing its one more step to being self sufficient. One more thing I dont need to buy at the grocery store. That makes me happy. Until I learn to make cheese with the goats milk, I foresee us eating lots of home made yogurt for breakfast. The yogurt itself is pretty sour (no more sour than plain yogurt from the grocery store). I am open to any suggestions to add flavor or sweetener without too much sugar. Tomorrow I might try adding just a touch of honey. Does anyone have any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. What about stirring in a spoonful or two of applesauce and sprinkling with cinnamon?

    ReplyDelete