Pages

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie... From Scratch

One of my goals since coming back is to make more of our meals from scratch, along with using home canned goods.  One night last week I made a chicken pot pie.  Chicken was super cheap at the grocery store and I had most of the other ingredients on hand.  Much to my dismay the recipe called for premade pie crusts.  I understand that most times you want to make something in the least amount of time possible, and therefore you would want to use premade pie crusts.  However unless you bought them on sale with a coupon as well, they are not a very frugal addition.  Its incredibly simple (and not too time consuming) to make your own pie crust.  Obviously, judging on the pictures, I still need to work on my pie crust rolling flat abilities.  Other than the patchy looks, the pie crust was super easy and yummy.  I can control the ingredients and know exactly what is in my meal.  Everything was made from scratch, or a whole item (like carrots, celery, chicken).  After putting the pie in the oven I had extra filling.  Not wanting to waste it, I divided the extras into two mason jars.  I then baked the two mason jars along side of the larger pot pie.  We have been eating out of the larger pie, and hubby has been taking the mason jars to work.  One large mason jars supplies him with both his lunch and dinner meal.  I will definitely be looking into baking more meals directly in mason jars.  It was nice not having to pack and wash extra Tupperware!







1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of baking directly in a Mason jar, though now that I think of it I can't think of a reason not to. Brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete